Gaslighting is often used by sociopaths or narcissists for emotional manipulation. They will use them in different ways and for different reasons, but these are the people who manipulate the most.
Gaslighting is a term that comes from an old movie where a guy manipulates a woman so that he can get her jewels. What gaslighting really is, is emotional abuse. When someone is being gaslighted, they will be told that their memory of things, or what they felt in a certain situation is wrong. The whole goal of this type of abuse is to get a person to question their perception, memory, or even their sanity.
Signs that you are being gaslit:
1. You always second guess yourself
2. You find yourself excusing the abusive behavior
3. You lack confidence and second guess yourself constantly
4. You struggle to make decisions on your own
5. You often feel like you can’t do anything right.
I know many of these may sound the same, and you are right. If someone is telling us that what we thought happened, didn’t happen. Or that the abuse we swear we sustained wasn’t really that bad, we will begin to not trust our own mind or memory. This can make us feel bad about who we are and erode our confidence.
Luckily there are things we can do to get out of these relationships!
1. Seek outside support. I would prefer it be both friends and a professional. The reason for this is because we will need someone who can help us heal from the abuse while we will need a friend or family member to help us when we question how things happened. Having both on board is best!
2. Start using feeling charts. I know this may be annoying, but in order to begin acknowledging how we feel and accepting it, we will need to check in with ourselves each day and notice how we feel.
3. Work on self talk! You know this is my favorite thing, but it can truly change your life. Work to talk positively to yourself by saying 5 nice things at the end of each day.
4. Set boundaries! Say no! Here are some videos to help with that: https://youtu.be/KhW4g9urdXQ https://youtu.be/vAcWIRuoZRc
5. Mindfulness! Take time each day to pull your focus in and notice how you are feeling, what may be upsetting you and find ways to start verbalizing it. We have to build up the trust between us and our mind again. This is a great way to start.
Please share this video! So many of you have requested this topic, and that means that many others are suffering in silence. You never know who may need to hear this! xoxo
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call a local emergency telephone number or go immediately to the nearest emergency room.
BIG THANK YOU to my Patreon Patrons! Without you, I couldn’t keep creating videos. xoxo https://www.patreon.com/katimorton
I’m Kati Morton, a licensed therapist making Mental Health videos – Depression, Eating Disorders, Anxiety, Self-Harm and more! Mental health shouldn’t have a stigma attached to it. You’re worth the fight!
New Videos every Monday and Thursday!
Visit http://www.katimorton.com for community support!
Business email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SENDING KATI STUFF
1223 Wilshire Blvd. #665
Santa Monica, CA 90403
HELP! SUBTITLE VIDEOS
Subtitle videos if you know English or any other languages! You can help people who are either hearing impaired or non native English speaking. By doing this, you are helping others and strengthening our community.
MY FREE WORKBOOKS
Easy to follow at home workbooks for your mental health….
Eating Disorder workbook
Facebook: Xbmc Tips And tricks https://www.facebook.com/groups/565124710285772/ VPN SETUP KODI: http://vpn.kodi17.com Forum: http://xbmcm3u.com kodi Evo Tech https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkfg9-oz3rqYVqnyRr7gHyQ http://Funkykitchengadgets.com IPVanish VPN Link: https://www.ipvanish.com/?a_aid=559b2ebabc791&a_bid=48f95966 Twitter: https://twitter.com/Miniboxpro http://querisavines.com Merica Build http://kodinews.net/Plugins Kodi UFC http://kodiufc.com BEST FULLY LOADED BOXES http://amzn.to/2cAhjF5 Best Boxes for Kodi